Entries are now open to The Barber Brands International Barber of the Year Competition for 2022.
This year we are excited to announce two categories – The OPEN category for practising barbers and 3rd year apprentices and a new category for 1st and 2nd year apprentices proudly sponsored by TAFE NSW.
Guidelines to Enter
- Fill out the online entry form – Make sure you click the category you intend to enter.
- Upload three images of different style cuts. These cuts must be a scissor cut, fade and freestyle. No photoshop editing or retouching allowed. No watermarks or logos on images allowed.
- Pay entry fee $60 AUD (includes the annual printed issue of The Cutthroat Journal and online subscription to enews).
- If you are selected you will be notified via email.
- This year there will be two categories – The Open Comp with one heat for practising barbers (including 3rd year apprentices who receive a 10 point handicap), and The TAFE NSW Apprentice Comp with 2 heats for 1st and 2nd year apprentices.
- There are only 24 places available for the Open Comp – places are strictly limited.
- There are only 8 places available for the TAFE NSW Apprentice Comp – places are strictly limited.
- Contestants must bring their own model (one model only).
- Contestants and models are responsible for own transport and accommodation to and from the event.
- All finalists must be able to attend the competition for the full duration of the event at The Nex, Newcastle on the 11th July.
- In the event of a draw it will be at the head judge’s discretion to decide on a winner evaluating your Scissor Work, Clipper Work, Hygiene & Safety and Styling & Finish.
- Contestant intoxication will not be tolerated.
- Only styling products supplied by Barber Brands International may be used during competition.
- Barbers must bring their own tools and equipment.
- Any clippers, combs, scissors, hairdryer and brushes can be used.
- Straightening/curling irons or any other hot tools, other than a hairdryer, CANNOT be used.
- There is no facility for washing hair so models must be ready before the competition starts. Water sprayers may be used but will not be supplied.
- NO assistance or instruction may be provided from any outside influences i.e. sponsors, friends, coaches etc.
- No pre-cutting, pre-trimming or pre-shaping allowed.
- The barber must show a transformation of model’s hair. A minimum of 1.5cm must be removed and no pre-shaping as per rule #3. The judges will scrutinize the models’ hair before and after cutting.
- No bulling or disrespecting other barbers or supporters.
- If a contestant is late or cannot make the competition they will forfeit their place and paid entry fee.
- No wigs, hairpieces or hair extensions can be used.
- Contestants must be present at the scheduled winner announcement – automatic disqualification if not.
- During set-up time if there is a perceived problem report to the Head Judge immediately who will decide whether or not to continue.
- Judges will be evaluating your Method. In the event of a tie, the head judge will determine the final winner evaluating your Scissor Work, Clipper Work, Hygiene & Safety and Styling & Finish.
- Any photos of competitors and models taken by Staff throughout the competition can be used for advertising and promotional use by The Cutthroat Journal and Barber Brands International.
- Judges decisions are final, any unnecessary disputes or verbal abuse will not be tolerated and contestants will be disqualified without question.
Good luck to all entrants. See you at the NEX!