The professional hair industry gathered for a long weekend of inspiration at Hair Expo Australia 2017 last week at the new International Convention Centre (ICC) in Sydney. With so many from our community around the world brought together under one roof, magic was bound to happen – we’ve pulled together our highlights from three action-packed days at Expo:
- Californian barber, Julius Cvesar, showcased his techniques with shears vs. clippers during his Look ‘n’ Learn session in partnership with Layrite and Barber Brands International; as well as impressing the Expo crowds on the Main Stage, ManStyle Lab stage, and at the Barber Brands stand on the Expo floor.
- The Streets Barber, Nasir Sobhani, was stationed at the Andis stand showing his cutting techniques and tips. Sobhani works at Melbourne’s Brother Wolf barbershop and has become well-known for The Streets Barber project, an organisation that gives free haircuts to the homeless.
- Mizutani Australia showcased its Schorem Reuzel Masters barbering shears, designed by Leen and Bertus from Schorem Barbier in the Netherlands.
- Those same Schorem Barbers, Leen and Bertus, presented their creative education seminar to a captivated audience at Hair Expo, in partnership with Reuzel and Haircare Australia.
- Lance Liufau and his Loft Barbershop team demonstrated the new Wahl Professional Cordless Detailer.
- H.Zone Professional showed barbers its specialty line of beard care products, as well as products specifically formulated for tattoo care. They also had live demonstrations from barbers Charles Lomu and Max Laban at the stand.
- Rogue Beauty brought V76 by Vaughn to Hair Expo, a range of traditionally-inspired men’s grooming products. Nephen Pepin showcased the products on the ManStyle Lab stage in a presentation on classic men’s styling and shaving.
- As well as a line-up of stellar education from international barbering icons including the Schorem Barbers, MENSPIRE UK’s Josh Lamonaca and Charlie Gray, and Julius Cvesar; local and international talent also gave free demonstrations in barbering and men’s grooming to the Hair Expo crowds on the ManStyle Lab stage throughout the weekend.
On day three of Hair Expo, Cutthroat Journal held the grand final of its Barber Wars competition with finalists from the heats in Auckland, Melbourne and Sydney competing on the ManStyle Lab stage for the ultimate title. Big congratulations to Vea Fonua of Barkers Groom Room, who took out first place; Bryan Tiska from Barberhood, who took out second place; and Shaun Ash from Beef Barbers, who came in third at the competition.
Capping off Hair Expo on Monday night was the 2017 Schwarzkopf Professional Hair Expo Awards where, for the second year running, Uros Mikic was crowned the 2017 Schwarzkopf Professional Hair Expo Men’s Hairdresser/Barber of the Year.
Hair Expo Australia 2018 will take place 9-11 June at the MCEC Melbourne. www.hairexpoaustralia.com